E-M:/ The Power of Community--free film in Lansing, 7/5

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

You are invited to join the members of the Lansing Post-Petroleum Planning Project (LP4) at "Everybody Reads" bookstore on E. Michigan at 7 p.m. on Wednesday July 5 for the second in our special summer series of sustainability stories (say that five times fast!) on DVD . . .

This time it's "The Power of Community," a document about how Cuba responded to the loss of 90% of its oil when the Soviet Union collapsed, and went from the most intensely fossil fuel dependent nation to one that is almost totally organic and locally based for food. During the worst of the "Special Period," the average Cuban lost 20 lbs. each. Their survival makes a gripping story, and one that may be exceptionally relevant to us, as we pass the peak in global oil production and find ourselves beginning the long descent.

You can enjoy dinner beforehand at Magdalena's Tea House (which serves full meals, mostly vegetarian) or pick up something lighter at the "Gone Wired Cafe" next door, and of course there are numerous good books and other things to enjoy at "Everybody Reads."

We hope to see you and your friends there.

http://peakoillansingmi.blogspot.com/