RE: E-M:/ FW: Nothing to celebrate while gas prices so high

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear@acd.net

I don't understand.  High gas prices are the _only_ thing
that has ever worked to reduce gas consumption, which is
one of the most important goals to be desired by
environmentalists.

I may not _like_ high gas prices, but then I don't _like_
tetanus shots.  But I certainly celebrate the freedom from
deadly illness provided by tetanus resistance, and would
gladly celebrate gas priced at something approaching its
true costs--which is something closer to $10/gallon rather
than $3.

People who want to claim to be environmentalists need to
recognize what an opportunity the imminent peak in oil
production provides--if we tax oil and gas consumption
appropriately, we could eliminate all other taxes, keep
much more of Michigan's wealth in Michigan, help preserve
an irreplaceable resource, and clean up the environment.

Oil is one of the most underpriced substances in the
universe . . . which is why we waste so much, and cause so
much environmental havoc as a result.  At $84 a barrel
(about $4 a gallon for gasoline), oil is only 50 cents a
quart, the cheapest liquid in the world, and the gasoline
made from it is only $1 a quart, less than the $1.50 I see
kids plugging into the machines to buy a PINT of sugar
water.