E-M:/ Automatic transmissions

William, as you are the resident Enviro-Mich auto engineer
you should be able to answer this question:

About how much is the energy/fuel penalty for using an
automatic transmission with the fluid clutch/torque converter
in a vehicle compared to use of a manual transmission with the
traditional pressure-plate clutch?

I realize the answer could vary somewhat based on
driving habits, but is there a rule of thumb for a general
determination on the energy loss from an automatic transmission?

For the uninitiated.... all
of the mechanical work-energy used to drive your
automatic transmission-equipped vehicle forward is
transferred mechanically through a fluid between
torque converter surfaces.  This allows an automatic
transmission to shift between gears through limited
slippage.  However, transferring work through a fluid
like this heats the fluid through friction, causing energy loss,
that is released by your transmission oil cooler.

All of that heat dissipated by my transmission oil cooler came
from burning gasoline in the engine to produce work.

As a self-identified Greenhouse Gas Polluter
going through self-evaluation for my effect on the planet, I'd like to
figure out how much additional carbon dioxide I'm
generating toward global warming solely because I drive a
car with an automatic transmission.

Regards,  Alex Sagady

At 12:58 PM 07/27/2006, William Tobler wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>
>
>The legal requirements for car certification are different between Europe and the US.
>So it is not necessarily easy to import to the US a model designed for European market.
>Never cheap.
>
>The Ford Contour was the US version of the Mondeo (I prefer to think the reverse).
>Ford spent a huge amount of money on the Contour and the sales were very disappointing, so it was
>discontinued after a few years.  The Mondeo continues in Europe and is regularly updated.
>So for two very similar cars, one is successful in one place and unsuccessful in the other.
>
>Ford Fusion and Focus are cars "about" the same size as the Mondeo.
>The 4 cyl and 6 cyl versions provide completely different driving experiences.
>
>I have never been to Europe, but I continue to hear "wonderful" stories about the Autobahn and
>fuel conservation and driving habits.
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: <Craig_Riley@URSCorp.com>

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com