Re: E-M:/ FW: Nothing to celebrate while gas prices so high

Enviro-Mich message from "Robert Isaac" <rjisaac@gmail.com>

> I would say it certainly has curbed their driving and consumption.

I still see a majority of SUVs, pickup trucks, and mini-vans passing my house on their way to and from work and or play, so I do not share your optimism. I would wager that the only people that have seriously changed their driving habits are the people making less than $25,000 a year and those of us that realize it is in the best interest of the planet.

>   One
> can easily notice a certain absence of some of the Big 3 models that you
> would normally see here (a Ford Explorer looks like an urban tank), while
> at the same time notice some Big 3 models on European roads that are not
> available here.  For example, I recall a Ford Mondero (???) I saw
> frequently in Spain.
>
> Their driving habits and types of cars are far different than here.

But they also have quite a few gas guzzling cars of their own, Porsche's and Lamborghini's come to my mind in my memories of the autobahn in 1994. You see them in your rearview mirror and suddenly they are ahead of you in the distance. I will note, however, that on their "Ozone Action Days" they do post speed limits on the autobahn.

Gas was easily $2.00 a gallon more than what we paid in the states at the time.

Can anyone share if that's curbed their driving and other
consumption over the years?

I remember seeing quite a few cars on the roads and in city streets not only in Germany but also France, Poland, and the Czech Republic. But this was 12 years ago, it may be different now (and from my memories of the former Eastern Block I hope that it is, the air quality from the coal fired electrical plants and unregulated industry was horrendous).