E-M:/ DNR Web Site Offers New Features

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 31, 2006

CONTACT: Ann Wilson 906-228-6561

DNR Web Site Offers New Features

Visitors to the Department of Natural Resources Web site will see two new features on it starting today. An image gallery has been added to the site, featuring the photographs of DNR Photographer David Kenyon. Also, an interactive map showing state parks with State Explorer programs for children will help families determine activities available at the parks they are visiting.

The DNR Web site is located on the state of Michigan governmental portal at www.michigan.gov/dnr.

The image gallery contains 12 images by Kenyon, who has been the photographing DNR activities, wildlife and outdoor recreation for nearly 25 years. The images are downloadable to be used as computer monitor ?wallpaper? and feature a DNR watermark. Information also is available for media outlets interested in using DNR images.

?David Kenyon?s work is well-known among the outdoor press, and we wanted to be able to show Michigan citizens and visitors the beauty and excitement he captures in his daily work for the DNR,? said Patricia Stewart, DNR chief communications officer. ?We hope the public has the opportunity to visit the online gallery of his work, and appreciate the amazing natural resources and outdoor recreation experiences our state has to offer.?

A link to the interactive map for the State Explorer program can be found on the ?Learning Corner? area of the DNR Web site under information for the Explorer program. The map shows parks that offer the programs, and by clicking on the park a visitor can see a two-week schedule of State Explorer nature programs for children. The schedules also can be printed.

?This new feature will make it easy and convenient for families who are visiting our state parks to find nature programs geared toward teaching children about the outdoors,? said Kevin Frailey, DNR education and outreach manager. ?This will allow families to better plan their vacation or visit by knowing ahead of time what programs they might like to participate in at the park.?

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state?s natural resources for current and future generations.

###