From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of Robert Isaac
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:10 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ iinput needed-- plants for traffic island ideas?

Enviro-Mich message from "Robert Isaac" <rjisaac@gmail.com>

Hi,

A mix of Daylilies (July blooming), Irises (May-June blooming),
Dafodils (early spring), and Tulips (April-May) all are low profile
and will thrive in a traffic island.

Though the Daylilies and Irises may choke out the rest of the
perennials over time.

All require very little care, apart from an occasional thinning.

On 8/8/06, Rita Jack <rita.jack@sierraclub.org> wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I've been drafted by our neighborhood association to help come up with
ideas
> for aesthetic plantings that we can place into/onto a traffic-calming
> island.  The plants need to be remain low-profile.  The preliminary
drawing
> doesn't show how deep the soil inside them would be, nor how high off the
> ground the traffic island would be - but they're drawn to be 9 feet wide
and
> around 20 feet long, the road on either side would be 10 feet or so.
> They're to be placed into the middle of Birch Row Drive in Meridian
> Township, they're apparently quite effective at slowing traffic in a
> residential neighborhood, something we're very interested in.
>

> The neighborhood association would be responsible for plant care once
> they're established, so we need something that doesn't take expert care,
and
> I would also guess something that doesn't require watering for those years
> when the rains don't come.  The preliminary drawing shows we might have 5
of
> these installed.  Oh – and the most important - we'd like the plants or
> flowers to be pretty all summer long!  (Do I ask too much with that one?)
>

> Thoughts, ideas, references to useful websites would be very helpful!
>

> Many thanks,
>

> ~Rita Jack
>

> ><><><><><>><><><><>
>
> Rita Jack
>
> Water Sentinels Project
>
> Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
>
> 109 E. Grand River Ave.
>
> Lansing, Michigan  48906
>
> tel:  517-484-2372
>
> www.michigan.sierraclub.org
>
> www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels
>

> Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.

enviro-mich"