Thanks!!! RE: E-M:/ input needed-- plants for traffic island ideas?

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

What a fun day, to talk about pretty flowers instead of gloom and doom!  And
what a delightful day here in the middle of Michigan today.  We've been
pretty lucky this summer, it seems, compared to so many around the country.

Thanks to all who have provided their advice and web resources!  This has
been very very helpful.  Some of the info I provided offline was that my
neighborhood is in the middle of a major retrofit for rain gardens.  We've
had some flooding issues over the years, especially as development has
filled in lands that used to be pretty wet, according to the old topo maps.
One developer in particular has built his house lots up above the others,
and that's caused a lot of the problem.  So our drain commissioner Pat
Lindemann is building rain gardens all over the neighborhood, big ones and
little ones, one in my own back yard, and all to be full of bright blooming
plants.  The traffic island calming devices are to manage a separate
problem, that of speedy drivers on one of our streets that has no stop signs
for several blocks to slow them down.  We've been through discussion of all
the other options, and this is the one the neighborhood prefers.  So --
we'll take our plans to the road commission, and hopefully they'll agree
with us - and then we'll plan our gardens on top of them!  Plan to come
check us out at the end of the summer, see what's happened so far, and then
plan to come back next year, too.

And don't forget to vote today -- there's still time if you haven't done so
already!

-Rita J.