Re: E-M:/ Bottle-return debate

Enviro-Mich message from "Robert Isaac" <rjisaac@gmail.com>

1) There is enough big brother government in our face all the time.  First,
they should look in the mirror.

Having been in several countries with mandatory recycling programs I see no problem whatsoever with legislated recycling programs. It is nice to walk into a Burger King and see separate bins for straws, paper-wrappers, and cups knowing full well that they will be recycled. The only people that would have anything to fear about this are the people that do not recycle.

2) If Environmentalists support this, it will be another reason for the
public to distrust and dislike environmentalism.

People once felt the same way towards the abolitionists, yet (in this country at least) slavery has stopped, which took legislation and a war to accomplish. People simply will not change their actions unless they are forced to.

3) The 10 cent economic incentive is big enough.  It should be expanded to
include more kinds of bottles to make if more effective and more convenient.

The amount of beer bottles, cans, and soft-drink containers I find in my yard speaks otherwise.

6) Big brother government in Lansing and in Washington is already
responsible for many of the environmental disasters in Michigan.

If its a choice between a bigger more earth-friendly government that forces its populace to follow the three R's and a government that allows its populace and businesses to destroy the planet... I'll choose the big government.