E-M:/ Dairy Cleans House - Neighbors Made Ill by Dairy's Sewage

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

Press Statement

For Immediate Release

Wednesday August 23, 2006

                                                                                                            Contacts

                                                                                                            Gayle Miller 517-484-2372

Lynn Henning 517-605-7740

Dairy Cleans House for Field Day Festivities:  Neighbors Made Ill by the Dairy’s Sewage

On Monday and Tuesday of this week, as the Lenawee County Center for Excellence prepared for their Field Day, residents around the Bakerlad Dairy in Lenawee County were experiencing the full horror of that dairy’s housecleaning preparations.  The Bakerlad Dairy is hosting the start of the Field Day festivities. To prepare, Bakerlad has been emptying its sewage lagoon onto a hay field a mile away so they can show off a clean-smelling operation to tourists during the Field Day.

Rita Jack, director of the Michigan Sierra Club’s Water Sentinels Project, stated, “Sadly, the extreme irony is that their housecleaning is making their neighbors suffer nausea, headaches, burning watery eyes, and even sinus infection, from breathing the emissions and the stench of the fermenting raw animal sewage that is being sprayed onto standing hay in nearby fields. The sewage covered hay may even be fed back to the cows that produce our milk.”

One neighbor who lives near the field where manure is being dumped said “…The emissions are so strong I had to close the windows to the house, no air conditioning.  We counted around 40 loads so far yesterday.  They started yesterday at around 5:30 am and ran 14 hours.  They started again this morning (Tuesday) at 6:30am.”

“I woke up with an extreme headache, dizziness, burning sinuses, raspy voice, nauseated.  I cannot hang laundry, work in my yard, work in my garden, go outside, or farm.  My right to farm is being violated.”

The same resident continues on Wednesday by saying, …“after 28 hours of hauling liquid hazardous animal waste, they are still hauling.  My neighbor is counting they have hauled over 1/2 million gallons so far on just 30 acres of hay ground.  We tried to cook on the grill but the stench was too strong, we could not even sit outdoors.  This is a chemical trespass of ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide that is also called economic development.  My doctor today said I am being chemically poisoned, I have a fever of 102.2 degrees he has put me on CIPRO/CIPROFLOXACIN.”

The point of the Center for Excellence Field Days is to show soy bean and corn producers what practices they can use to grow more produce and increase their profits while avoiding risk.  It’s an ironic shame that the dairy that’s hosting this event is foisting their sewage onto their neighbors, making them suffer, to make it look like the animal feeding operation is following good farm management practices.

Background on the event:

Jody Pollok, phone number 517-668-2676, was listed on the August 11 press release from the Corn Marketing Program of Michigan, located in DeWitt, Michigan.  “The Corn Marketing Program of Michigan (CMPM) is partnered with the Lenawee Conservation District, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee to conduct an extensive research and demonstration project known as the Lenawee County Center for Excellence. Through the Center for Excellence, new practices are tried in test plots for producers to learn and evaluate data without it affecting their farming operation’s bottom line.”

Lenawee County Center for Excellence will hold its 2006 field day on August 23 near Clayton, Mich. The tour will originate in the morning at Bakerlad Farms, located on Cadmus Road east of Morey Highway. In the afternoon the tour will proceed to the Raymond and Stutzman Farm located on Seneca Road. Lunch will be provided for attendees. Restricted use pesticide credits can be earned for attending the program.”

“This field day will provide corn producers with a first-hand look at this year’s plots and research trials. “This is a great opportunity for producers to look at innovative new agronomic practices they could not afford to test privately in their own fields,” explained Jody E. Pollok, CMPM executive director.  “After seeing the results, producers can then continue to make educated production decisions that will positively affect their own farming operations.”

The Lenawee County Center for Excellence says to call the Lenawee Soil Conservation District office at (517) 263-7400, ext. 3 for more information.

For more information about how the practices of this facility and other animal factories in Michigan are harming human health and destroying rural property values, please contact the Sierra Club at (517) 484-2372. The Sierra Club’s 24 minute documentary, "Living a Nightmare: Animal Factories in Michigan", is available free to media and other interested organizations.

-30-

~Rita Jack

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

109 E. Grand River Ave.

Lansing, Michigan  48906

tel:  517-484-2372

www.michigan.sierraclub.org

www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.