People who don't rinse out their containers are acting very inconsiderate.  They deserve whatever roach problem they are inviting in to their homes/garages.

Thanks for the cogent analysis, Brad.

Claire Maitre

On Aug 23, 2006, at 8:37 PM, William Tobler wrote:

I do not like taxing one thing to subsidize another.
There are too many unintended and undesirable side effects.

If a store is not willing to accept returnable bottles, then this store should not be allowed to sell products in returnable bottles.  KISS principle.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Bottle-return debate

Sorry about the misconception.  I wasn't attempting to say that the current system is a "legitimate problem", which, despite a variety of shortcomings, IS successful.  Rather, I was suggesting that implementing a means to improve upon the state's poor recycling system and resource management practices is a legitimate problem.  Expecting modifications to the bottle bill to fix all of those problems is certainly asking too much and "best practices" improvements to the system are not likely forthcoming.  Hence the "penny plan" is a reasonable, next best alternative approach to address issues of recycling and litter simultaneously.