E-M:/ "Appalachian Treasures" Tour (re MTR) coming to MI in Oct - need hosts

Appalachian Voices is a non-profit organization that works closely with coalfield residents in Appalachia to stop a very destructive form of coal mining called mountaintop removal (MTR).

Mountaintop removal coal mining literally involves blasting off up to several hundred feet of a mountain. The remnants of the mountains are shoved into the valley, choking off streams. Not only does this mining literally destroy thousands years old mountains, it also devastates the communities near the coalfields through increased torrential flooding and other threats. To learn more about mountaintop removal and to view pictures, please go to http://www.appvoices.org/index.php?/site/mtr_overview/ & http://www.appvoices.org/index.php?/gallery/.

Many churches on the national level have condemned MTR, including the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, the Presbyterian Church USA, the Episcopalian Church, & Unitarian Universalists.

In order to educate the greater public about this issue, we are currently scheduling our Appalachian Treasures Tour, a multi-media presentation about MTR, in Michigan from Monday, October 16th through Friday, Oct 27th. We are looking for organizations, churches or other groups who are willing to host or co-host a presentation to get the word out about what is happening in one of the poorest areas of the country. Oftentimes, we are able to arrange to have a coalfield resident join us to share their personal experience with mountaintop removal coal mining.

We are looking for hosts in the following districts/ cities:

District 2- Cadillac, Ludington, Muskegon, Muskegon Heights, Norton Shores, Grand Haven, Jenison, Holland

District 3- Grand Rapids, Walker, Grandville, Forest Hills, Wyoming, Kentwood

District 7- Waverly, Battle Creek, Albion, Jackson, Adrian

District 13- Detroit, Gross Pointe Woods, Harper Woods, Lincoln Park, Wyandotte

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Contact info below:

Sandra Diaz, Appalachian Treasures Project Coordinator

Appalachian Voices  407.739.6465     sandra.diaz@earthlink.net

www.appvoices.org