E-M:/ RE: / "Liquid Manure is Too Wet"

I want to encourage folks to read this article.  David Green has done excellent reporting on some of the more arcane but crucial issues associated with CAFOs, clearly responding to what he observes in his community where a number of CAFOs are operating and raising significant public concern.

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter

From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Janet Kauffman
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:22 AM
To: enviro-mich
Subject: E-M:/ "Liquid Manure is Too Wet"

Article this week in The State Line Observer (Morenci, Mich., and Fayette, Ohio) --on a presentation by Frank Gibbs, USDA-NRCS, at an ag field day in Lenawee County.
http://statelineobserver.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=309&Itemid=43

-snip-
By DAVID GREEN
    Don’t blame tile lines for discharges of liquid manure into drains, says soil scientist and farmer Frank Gibbs, and don’t blame the rich soil with its worm holes leading to the tile.

     Put the blame on the watered down manure....

     “We wondered how long it might take to percolate down to the tile lines. Twenty minutes? Should we go to lunch?”
      There was no time for lunch, Gibbs said. The dye was there within seconds, and every time a pass was made over a lateral tile line, another pulse of colored liquid came through...