E-M:/ Regional land planning: bad decision, good editorial

This excellent editorial from yesterday’s Flint Journal highlights the growing movement toward more regional-minded land use planning—-and the many challenges Michigan communities face in getting there.

Strong state leadership, broad education, and more organized and vocal outreach to our local leaders and planning officials are all long overdue on this critical issue.

Brad Garmon | Land Programs Director | Michigan Environmental Council

Ph. 517-487-9539 | Fax 517-487-9541

Email: bradmec@voyager.net

MEC: Protecting Michigan's Land, Air and Water for 25 Years

Regional planning

Flint Journal Editorial

August 30, 2006

“The Fenton City Council's overwhelming vote not to join nearby municipalities in nonbinding regional land-use planning is an example of how Genesee County - in fact all of southeast Michigan - is following a strategy that could leave it behind economically. . . .

“Their stated reasons for opposing what many vibrant areas in the country embrace center on them seeing little benefit from such cooperation. Fenton Councilman Edward Angeluski even anticipated potential conflicts between jurisdictions. . . . Pray tell what do we have now in Michigan with more than 1,750 municipalities empowered pretty much to operate as if in their own little worlds, with nearly every government deciding land-use and development matters with minimal concern for its neighbors?”

Read the complete article: http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1156945825229800.xml&coll=5