Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 11:46 AM
Subject: E-M:/ Suits aimed at activists have a chilling effect

In the protest world, they're called "SLAPP" suits. And as acronyms go, SLAPP is pretty descriptive — "Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation."

SLAPP suits are a strategy used primarily by corporations or developers to intimidate individuals to prevent them from participating in public protests. Or, more bluntly, to shut them up.

What makes the suits unique — and effective — is that most are filed against individuals, not groups or local governments that may have the wherewithal to mount a legal defense.

http://www.record-eagle.com/2006/aug/29edit.htm