[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Ecology Center job opening
- Subject: E-M:/ Ecology Center job opening
- From: Mike Garfield <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:57:46 -0400
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-to: Mike Garfield <email@example.com>
Environmental Health Associate
The Ecology Center is seeking a talented person to work on grassroots, legislative and market campaigns for environmental health.
The Ecology Center is a Michigan-based environmental organization that works for a safe and healthy environment where people live, work, and play. Founded in 1970, the Ecology Center has approximately 6,000 members and supporters, 12 staff persons, several part-time consultants and interns, and an 11-person Board of Directors. In recent years, the Ecology Center has led successful campaigns to close down Michigan's medical waste incinerators, improve the environmental performance of the auto industry, and save thousands of acres of working farms and valuable natural areas. The Ecology Center is the parent organization of Recycle Ann Arbor, also a nonprofit organization, which operates the premier recycling program in the state of Michigan.
The Ecology Center’s Environmental Health Project works to protect people’s health from toxic chemicals. The Project's focus includes education of key constituencies on the link between the environment and health, advocacy campaigns for non-toxic manufacturing and safe consumer products, and state and national policy initiatives for reform of chemicals policy. We run campaigns in market sectors including health care, chemicals and pesticides, and we work in coalition with several leading environmental health campaigns nationally, including Health Care Without Harm and Coming Clean. In addition, the Ecology Center’s Auto Project coordinates national campaigns to phase out the use of toxic chemicals in the auto industry.
The Environmental Health Associate will work with the Ecology Center’s Environmental Health Director and Senior Organizer in carrying out local, state, and national advocacy campaigns. Major current initiatives include:
• the Michigan Environmental Health Network, a coalition of health care professionals and environmentalists working for cutting-edge state environmental health policies;
• several regional and national campaigns to phase out the use of toxic chemicals, and to enact innovative chemical policies;
• organizing in mid-Michigan to clean up one of the country’s largest contamination sites, and to broadly improve Dow Chemical’s operations; and,
• bringing problems and solutions to the attention of decision-makers – including government officials and corporate leaders – through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media publicity, direct lobbying, testimony at public hearings, and high quality position papers.
The position offers opportunity for educational and professional development. This position is a great opportunity for a creative person to make a difference working for a nationally respected public interest organization with outstanding colleagues.
• Bachelor’s degree required, and advanced degree in public health or related field is desirable;
• experience in grassroots organizing, political, policy, legal, journalistic, or government settings;
• strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate technical information to the general public;
• well-organized, self-motivated, and ability to work independently;
• must be passionate about protecting public health and the environment, and tenacious in the face of challenges.
Between $27,000-$36,000 per year, depending on experience. The Ecology Center offers generous benefits, including medical, dental, four weeks vacation, and retirement.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a current writing sample by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please fax to (734) 663-2414, or mail to Ecology Center, 117 N. Division, Ann Arbor, MI 48104. For more information, please call (734) 761-3186.
Please apply before September 15, 2006. Applications received prior to September 15 will be given priority, but we will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
The Ecology Center is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, and people of diverse cultural backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
117 N. Division
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 761-3186 ext. 104