Re: E-M:/ Live fire training comments period extended

The CBC radio report with the spokeperson from the
Coast Guard contradicts the claim below, saying
copper jacketed lead bullets will be used.

Maybe the Coast Guard can do their live fire training on
the Illinois River and shoot some of those asian
carp headed for the Great Lakes that like to jump
up out of the water  <smile>

Actually, I don't want to poke too much fun at the
Coast Guard....  Of federal employees/public servants, the Coast Guard helicopter rescue
pilots and the National Weather Service meteorologists
were probably the biggest heroes of the Katrina
disaster down in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

The worst thing about this entire affair with the
life fire training on the Great Lakes is that the newly
named prime minister in Canada and G. W. Bush got
together and effectively abrogated an international
treaty between the US and Canada by "reinterpreting" it.

Here again are the maps of the sites:

http://www.sagady.com/livefire/

At 03:57 PM 09/01/2006, Robert Isaac wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Robert Isaac" <rjisaac@gmail.com>
>
>It was asked in an earlier thread about this subject whether DU rounds
>would be used, the weapons being trained with (assault rifles
>including the M-16 and M-240 rifles) fire ammunition made from
>Tungsten or Depleted Uranium.  The US military has moved away from
>using lead in bullets, making the argument over lead moot.
>
>Keep this in mind when sending your comments and concerns.
>
>Why are they live-fire training on the Lakes anyway?  They do not need
>firearms during search and rescue missions.  Canada is not going to
>invade us, so the training is nothing more than a waste of time and
>tax-payer money.
>
>On 8/31/06, Cynthia Price <skyprice@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@gmail.com>
>>
>>I got this press release from Rep. Pete Hoekstra's office late this
>>PM. I'm not acting as his publicist or anything, but thought, based on
>>extension, so I'm forwarding the whole release.
>>
>>Cynthia Price
>>Editor, Norton-Lakeshore Examiner
>>Chair, Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
>>
>>Coast Guard Extends Public Comment Period for Firearms Training Zones by 60 Days
>>
>>Hoekstra Also Intends to Request Public Meetings on the Proposal
>>
>> WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Coast Guard, at the request of U.S. Rep.
>>Pete Hoekstra, R-Holland, has extended by 60 days a public comment
>>period on a proposal to create 26 live-fire training zones on the
>>Great Lakes.
>>
>>"I was surprised to learn of the Coast Guard's plans to create
>>firearms training zones on Lake Michigan and am disappointed that it
>>did not do more to inform the public," Hoekstra said. "I appreciate
>>its willingness to extend the public comment period by 60 days. I am
>>optimistic that the extension will provide people with more of an
>>opportunity to express their concerns and to learn more about the
>>proposal."
>>
>>Hoekstra also said that he intends to request public meetings as well
>>to allow the Coast Guard to better explain the proposal and for area
>>citizens to request information.
>>
>>-30-

>>ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
>>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at
>>http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/
>>
>>Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
>>majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com