E-M:/ CBC Radio regarding Coast Guard Firing Ranges on Great Lakes

Mayor Mike Bradley of Sarnia, Ontario said the CBC radio ran the issue as the number one story today.

-Kay Cumbow, Director
Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination

U.S. Coast Guard seeks firing ranges on Great Lakes

Last Updated Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:42:20 EDT

CBC News
"The U.S. Coast Guard is making waves on the Great Lakes with a plan to establish 34 live-fire zones where its crews can practise with machine-guns mounted on their vessels...."

"The 7.62-mm light machine-guns, which can fire 600 rounds a minute, have been made standard equipment on the coast guard's Great Lakes cutters as a result of terrorism jitters and a quiet reinterpretation of an arms-control treaty signed after the War of 1812...."

"...When the new guns made headlines earlier this year, the Canadian Coast Guard said it reserved the right to arm its own vessels...."

For the full story see:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/09/01/coast-guard060901.html