Re: E-M:/ Full-blown Ethanomania Outbreak in Lansing

At 02:19 PM 09/03/2006, jmgear wrote:

>To their credit, many of Michigan's leaders understand how critical it is that we develop alternative fuels. Gov. Jennifer Granholm has made alternative fuels an important part of the Jobs Fund program. Congressman Mike Rogers and Sens. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow strongly support ethanol and other biofuels.
>
>In addition, President Lou Anna Simon has made developing the bioeconomy, including biofuels, a signature emphasis for Michigan State University.
>
>    [Any science that can only be justified by citing politicians means "Watch your wallet!" and don't count on any results.]

Attorney Gear.....the above is probably one of your best written lines yet on Enviro-Mich.

>Michigan is uniquely positioned to build an expanded bioeconomy and develop biofuels. As we build the bioeconomy, we will give our state a competitive advantage in meeting the growing demand for biofuels and for many other products made from renewable plant resources.
>
>    [Michigan is uniquely positioned near the Great Lakes.  We have very little fossil energy of our own, so all the energy needed to make the ethanol will have to be imported, just as now.  There's no particular reason that Michigan is better suited to grow crops for ethanol than others--obviously we are not as well suited to the industrial corn farming as Iowa and Illinois, thank goodness, but neither do we have any unique advantages for cellulosic (i.e., those not available to other states).  This whole line of argument appears to be nothing but rah-rah intended to use Michigan's economically depressed condition as an argument for squandering even more of our resources on trying to keep the easy motoring lifestyle alive.  Good luck.]

The idea that Michigan is uniquely suited for growing corn is rely
contracted when we see that the Grand River, Kalamazoo River, Saginaw
River and Maumee River basins are among the top sediment polluting
river basins in the entire Great Lakes.   And Michigan DEQ is
both ignoring these facts and violating the Clean Water Act by
failing to designate much or all of these watersheds as being impaired
by turbidity and sediment pollution.

I suppose that an agriculture-compliant-motivated decision by MDEQ to
walk away from its impaired water quality designation responsibilities
might be construed as making Michigan "uniquely" situated to grow
corn for ethanol, but not in the manner in which the original MSU professor
intended.

>=========
>Bruce E. Dale is a professor in Michigan State University's Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science.

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com