E-M:/ Spotlight on Global Warming

September 18, 2006

Local Congregation Participates in "Spotlight on Global Warming"

Saturday Oct. 7, at 7 p.m., is the date for the Green Sanctuary Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Church Grand Traverse to participate along with 4,000 churches nationwide in providing a free screening of the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." Interfaith Power and Light, a nationwide, non-denominational faith organization is responding to the issue of global warming as a moral issue and is sponsoring "Spotlight on Global Warming" through member churches. Congregations representing Evangelicals, Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Lutherans, and others are coming together to spread the facts about global warming and how to respond as a spiritual community.

"An Inconvenient Truth" has quickly become the most powerful vehicle in presenting the combined scientific findings of literally thousands of climatologists around the globe. The research has been going on for decades, and the initial forecasts of climate disruption are coming true at an alarming rate. "An Inconvenient Truth" describes how man’s activity has affected our world, and includes many potential solutions to help cool the planet we all inhabit. But it also points out that the next ten years are pivotal in grasping the situation before it gets past the tipping point of possible recovery.

The Rev. Sally Bingham in California founded Interfaith Power and Light in 1998. "People of all religions and political beliefs share a common concern over the risk global warming poses to our planet," the Rev. Bingham explains. And she advocates we share a moral responsibility to be good stewards of all creation no matter who you believe created it.

The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Grand Traverse has a long record of supporting environmental and social justice actions. The Green Sanctuary Committee within the church is responsible for implementing a plan to reduce the total carbon footprint of both the church building and congregational activities. Donations will be heartily accepted at the door for the support of the committee, but Tom Karas, committee chair, stresses that exposing as many people as possible to the facts is the main goal of the presentation.

The UUCGT is located at 6726 Center Road on Old Mission Peninsula. For directions the church office can be reached at 231-947-3117. Any other information can be obtained from Tom Karas at 231-590-8164, or e-mail logman39@hotmail.com.

Reference web sites: Michigan Interfaith Power and Light

www.miipl.org

Great Lakes Global Warming Forecast

www.ucsusa.org/greatlakes/glregionmi