Re: E-M:/ NY Times: Leafy Green Sewage: E. coli O157:H7

Probably better than trying to blame illegal immigrants...

Puts me in mind of the recent "Omnivore's Dilemma":

   http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

Pollan points out (as NYT may echo) that this new strain of E.coli can
be eliminated by giving cattle the chance to graze any open-range grass
during the last day or two before slaughter.

   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5342514

As I recall, although grass-finished beef won't kill people in this
particularly painful and horrific way, it takes more work to produce --
and doesn't improve marketability or price -- so growers don't make the effort.

GS

Janet Kauffman wrote:

> NY Times op-ed today:
>
> Leafy Green Sewage
> by Nina Planck
> Published: September 21, 2006
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/21/opinion/21planck.html?ex=1159502400
>
> -snip-
>
> "...But the villain in this outbreak, E. coli O157:H7, is far scarier,
> at least for humans. Your stomach juices are not strong enough to kill
> this acid-loving bacterium, which is why it?s more likely than other
> members of the E. coli family to produce abdominal cramps, diarrhea,
> fever and, in rare cases, fatal kidney failure.Where does this
> particularly virulent strain come from? It?s not found in the
> intestinal tracts of cattle raised on their natural diet of grass, hay
> and other fibrous forage. No, O157 thrives in a new ? that is, recent
> in the history of animal diets ? biological niche: the unnaturally
> acidic stomachs of beef and dairy cattle fed on grain, the typical
> ration on most industrial farms..."

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them