To: "jaimeson winstead" <winstead_jaimeson@yahoo.com>
Cc: <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ NY Times: Leafy Green Sewage: E. coli O157:H7

Unknown to me.

In the interview I heard, Pollan seemed to suggest that it was a
function of the change in feed, not the change in feeding circumstances.
I might suppose that ruminants are not intended to process the nutrient
package they receive on corn or corn by-products (too much sugar? not
enough cholorophyll?).  In any event, the new strain of E. coli likely
is just taking advantage of an undefended niche; perhaps when grass is
introduced, the balance tips against the newcomer.

On the one hand, bright light and fresh air won't get into the gut --
but on the other, the cow might feel less like poisoning the folks
responsible  :-)

GS

jaimeson winstead wrote:

Does the grass need to be fed outdoors, or does the bright light
and fresh air have anything to do with getting rid of the E. coli?