Re: E-M:/ Public hearing

You wrote:

> > bfreese@verizon.net writes:
> >
> > What that has meant in the past is "We are here to listen
> > before we decide to ignore them." In all the permits to
> > pollute applied for by Lafarge since 1988 not a single
> > permit has been denied. In most cases the same reasons apply.

> If this turns out to be the case, is it time to sue the DEQ?

It's as close to true as corporate money can make it.  IIRC, there are
very high success rates for sand mining, deep well injection, air
discharges, and so forth.  It's somewhat lower for wetlands -- but only
when modified permits tally on the "lower" side of the ledger.

Their defense could take the form of a joke I tell to ease that pain.
The Clean Water Act, for example, refers repeatedly to "the licensing or
permitting agency."  Hence their opening statement at trial:

   "MDEQ is a permitting agency -- not a denying one."

It's a bit funnier when you're actively trying to feel better  :-)

GS

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them