E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion

The 'Sportsmen for Bush' network in Michigan is having fits that any state or Federal F&W biologist, university scientist, or environmentalist would dare challenge their divine DeVos.  They are willing to destroy their own fish/hunt habitats with DeVos CAFO manure etc.  Voodoo science is more important to DeVos than the protection of state natural resources or our outdoor heritage.

DeVos' recent statement that Michigan schools should be allowed to teach creation theory in science classes flies in the face of reason and court decisions and should concern anyone who cares about issues that affect the outdoors resources we love.

One question DeVos must answer is which creation theory we will teach. Just the Christian one? How about the Buddhist one? Do we teach our kids about the Maori belief that the god Maui fished from a great canoe, which became New Zealand's South Island, and hooked a huge ray, which became North Island? Or the Navajo creation story that First Man and First Woman were created from clouds?

America didn't become pre-eminent in world affairs by injecting religion into science classes. Evolution was a back-burner issue until fundamentalists became a major influence in DeVos' political party about 20 years ago.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/SPORTS10/609230368/1058