RE: E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion

Though I agree that the religious fundamentalism that has infected our government is a significant problem, I cannot agree that science is the sole answer.  Science and religion have been on parallel courses for ever since science split itself free of the priesthoods of religions.  Science clearly points out that what we are imposing on our environment is more than just environmental destruction.  It is self-destruction however or slow or rapid it may be.  Anyone with a modest understanding of the interlaced dependency of all plants and animals (yes, including humans) knows that disturbance in one area causes a reactive disturbance in another area.  The big picture is that of Gaia, a living, pulsating entity known as earth.  To think that we cannot harm this small ball--8000 miles in diameter--is ludicrous.
Just as important is the religious aspect--the commonality of all religions--the teachings that implore humanity to work with nature, to harm nothing and no one.  When humans have learned that morality applies to ALL of nature, not just to humans and other animals, then is when science and religion will have arrived at the same conclusion, "We are all individual, yet one with all that exists."

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 9/23/2006 10:06:48 AM
Subject: E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion

The 'Sportsmen for Bush' network in Michigan is having fits that any state or Federal F&W biologist, university scientist, or environmentalist would dare challenge their divine DeVos.  They are willing to destroy their own fish/hunt habitats with DeVos CAFO manure etc.  Voodoo science is more important to DeVos than the protection of state natural resources or our outdoor heritage.

DeVos' recent statement that Michigan schools should be allowed to teach creation theory in science classes flies in the face of reason and court decisions and should concern anyone who cares about issues that affect the outdoors resources we love.

One question DeVos must answer is which creation theory we will teach. Just the Christian one? How about the Buddhist one? Do we teach our kids about the Maori belief that the god Maui fished from a great canoe, which became New Zealand's South Island, and hooked a huge ray, which became North Island? Or the Navajo creation story that First Man and First Woman were created from clouds?

America didn't become pre-eminent in world affairs by injecting religion into science classes. Evolution was a back-burner issue until fundamentalists became a major influence in DeVos' political party about 20 years ago.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/SPORTS10/609230368/1058