E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

There seems to be a sizable faction of the Christian right that actually believes that environmental destruction precedes the second coming -- I haven't sorted out whether they think that it hastens it or just happens before it, but the net result is that they _welcome_ environmental destruction, just as they welcomed the natural disasters of '04 and '05 and the recent conflict between Israel and Hezbollah as signs of the end of the world.
But there's also a backlash, not only among a growing group of evangelicals who try to preach the "stewardship" of creation, but among mainstream theologians who also consider respect for all creation a part of Christian responsibility -- a good link may be found to an essay by the Rev. Thomas Berry, "Ethics and Ecology," from the Harvard Seminar on Environmental Values: http://ecoethics.net/ops/eth&ecol.htm. He blames an overemphasis on the human in Western religious and philosophical traditions: "Both our religious and our humanist traditions are committed to an anthropocentric exaltation of the human."
Seems to me that spirituality can enhance science, and vice versa, in people of good faith, but there isn't any doubt that the anti-scientific voice has been too loud in the past six years.
Anna Graham

HAMILTREEF@aol.com writes:

The 'Sportsmen for Bush' network in Michigan is having fits that any state or Federal F&W biologist, university scientist, or environmentalist would dare challenge their divine DeVos. They are willing to destroy their own fish/hunt habitats with DeVos CAFO manure etc. Voodoo science is more important to DeVos than the protection of state natural resources or our outdoor heritage.
_Science must lead way, not religion_ (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/SPORTS10/609230368/1058) DeVos' recent statement that Michigan schools should be allowed to teach creation theory in science classes flies in the face of reason and court decisions and should concern anyone who cares about issues that affect the outdoors resources we love.
One question DeVos must answer is which creation theory we will teach. Just the Christian one? How about the Buddhist one? Do we teach our kids about the Maori belief that the god Maui fished from a great canoe, which became New Zealand's South Island, and hooked a huge ray, which became North Island? Or the Navajo creation story that First Man and First Woman were created from clouds? America didn't become pre-eminent in world affairs by injecting religion into science classes. Evolution was a back-burner issue until fundamentalists became a major influence in DeVos' political party about 20 years ago. _http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/SPORTS10/609230368/1
058_ (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/SPORTS10/609230368/1058)

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.