Re: E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion (fwd)

In a message dated 9/25/2006 10:18:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, grahama9@msu.edu writes:
Seems to me that spirituality can enhance science, and vice versa, in people
of good faith, but there isn't any doubt that the anti-scientific voice has
been too loud in the past six years.>>
Very true, on both counts.  The current Administration seems to too often discount real science (ex., global warming).  Religious Right / fundamentalists *do* try to foist their religious, literal biblical translations into science classes (through calling for the teaching of "creationism" or "intelligent design").

Spirituality can enhance science, and vice versa.  And while I appreciate Thomas Berry, I wouldn't call him "mainstream" in terms of religious thought on caring for the Earth.  There are, however, many mainstream groups out there, and a wealth of eco-theological information, that has arisen since the early 1990's.

Best ones I know of are:

Mainstream religious concern for the environment is not a new phenomenon ... just one not often noticed, when the Religious Right gets most of the public / media attention.

And, finally - on the question of teaching evolution in public schools, see "The Clergy Letter Project" ... an open letter signed by over 10,000 clergy nationwide, in support of the teaching of evolution, along with a collection of sermons, etc in support of holding science and religion together, but not teaching religion *as* science.  A number of Michigan clergy are signatories.

Kim Winchell
Diaconal Minister for Earthkeeping Education
N/W Lower MI Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America