Re: E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Thanks muchly for your comments and the websites. I suppose that I think of Berry as mainstream because I tend to agree with him! I do realize that mainstream religions have fostered a better appreciation of the environment for some time (think of St. Francis!), but I think that the backlash against anti-environmentalism in the evangelical community is only now gaining force; I have read recently in the NYT that an increasing number of evangelical "mega-churches" are also defying their stereotype of being Republican and pro-war.
Imagine what an impact the Evangelical community could have if it would turn more of its energy to environmental protection --
Anna Graham

And while I appreciate Thomas Berry, I wouldn't call him "mainstream" in terms of religious thought on caring for the Earth. There are, however, many mainstream groups out there, and a wealth of eco-theological information, that has arisen since the early 1990's.

Best ones I know of are:
_www.webofcreation.org_ (http://www.webofcreation.org) _www.earthministry.org_ (http://www.earthministry.org) _www.nccecojustice.org_ (http://www.nccecojustice.org) _www.eco-justice.org_ (http://www.eco-justice.org) Mainstream religious concern for the environment is not a new phenomenon ... just one not often noticed, when the Religious Right gets most of the public media attention.

Kim Winchell
Diaconal Minister for Earthkeeping Education
N/W Lower MI Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.