Re: E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion

Enviro-Mich message from Craig_Riley@URSCorp.com

It may take more open discussions and more of a sense of common mission,
but I think all concerned environmentalists in Michigan and throughout the
country can find some hope in the idea that environmentalism is being
embraced by a new movement of justice-based Christians...let's just call it
the Christian Left  ;)

I think the 80+ Michigan congregations and 4000+ congregations nationwide
showing An Inconvenient Truth as part of The Regeneration
Project/Interfaith Power & Light would be a good place to see that hope.

Peace, indeed

Craig

             "Anna Dorothy
             Graham"
             <grahama9@msu.edu                                          To
             >                         enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
             owner-enviro-mich
             @great-lakes.net                                      Subject
                                       Re: E-M:/ Science must lead way,
                                       not religion
             09/25/2006 11:17
             AM

             Please respond to
               "Anna Dorothy
                  Graham"
             <grahama9@msu.edu

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Thanks muchly for your comments and the websites.  I suppose that I think
of
Berry as mainstream because I tend to agree with him!  I do realize that
mainstream religions have fostered a better appreciation of the environment

for some time (think of St. Francis!), but I think that the backlash
against
anti-environmentalism in the evangelical community is only now gaining
force; I have read recently in the NYT that an increasing number of
evangelical "mega-churches" are also defying their stereotype of being
Republican and pro-war.
Imagine what an impact the Evangelical community could have if it would
turn
more of its energy to environmental protection --
Anna Graham

__________________
And while I appreciate Thomas Berry, I wouldn't call him "mainstream" in
terms  of religious thought on caring for the Earth.  There are,  however,
many mainstream groups out there, and a wealth of  eco-theological
information, that has arisen since the early 1990's.

> Best ones I know of are:
> _www.webofcreation.org_ (http://www.webofcreation.org)
> _www.earthministry.org_ (http://www.earthministry.org)
> _www.nccecojustice.org_ (http://www.nccecojustice.org)
> _www.eco-justice.org_ (http://www.eco-justice.org)
>
> Mainstream religious concern for the  environment is not a new phenomenon
... just one not often noticed, when  the Religious Right gets most of the
public media  attention.

> Kim Winchell
> Diaconal Minister for Earthkeeping Education
> N/W Lower MI Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.

enviro-mich"