E-M:/ FW: Michigan Student Sustainability Coalition's Ist Event!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Emily Petz [mailto:mssc.msu@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:23 AM

Subject: Michigan Student Sustainability Coalition's Ist Event!!

Oil and Climate Change Today: Voices from the Front Lines

When: Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Time: 6:30– 8:30 p.m.

Where:

Michigan State University

Natural Resources Building, rm 158.

East Lansing MI 48824-1222
WS.W. CORNER FARM LANE & WILSON ROAD
Building number: 180
Building abbreviation: NR.

http://www.msu.edu/dig/msumap/natresource.html

Join us for this special event with speakers from Micronesia and Tavalu and Nigeria sharing their moving stories on the chain of our oil addiction on global climate change, human rights, and environmental impacts.  Come on out and be a part of an inspiring conversation in breaking our addiction to oil and to learn more about what can be done.

Speakers:

Ben Namakin is an environmental educator who grew up on the Pacific Islands of Kiribati and Micronesia where he witnessed first hand how increased erosion and rising sea levels from global warming threaten the survival of islands.  He participated in making the International Youth Declaration "Our Climate, Our Challenge, Our Future" and was one of five youth speakers who addressed the 10,000 delegates in a plenary at the COP11/MOP1. Ben continues to collaborate with the Beyond Kyoto youths to share information on possible actions to stop climate change, research climate change impacts in the Pacific, and raise awareness about the issue.

Omoyele Sowore has spent the last 15 years working to promote human rights and democracy in Nigeria, and to stop the militarization and violence that multinational oil companies have brought to his country.  Human rights groups estimate that in the last 10 years military factions acting on behalf of multinational oil companies have killed more than 2,000 people in the Niger Delta. Sowore speaks about the destruction that US oil addiction is causing in Nigeria.

Moderated by Nile Malloy, born and raised in Flint, Michigan and a graduate of U of M, has been involved in ecological justice, anti-oppression and human rights work from movement building to international oil impacts.  He is currently an Oil Independence Organizer at Rainforest Action Network ( www.ran.org), working to end America 's oil addiction and to stop global climate change by convincing the auto industry to invest in cleaner and more fuel efficient technology.

Co-sponsored by Michigan Student Sustainability Coalition, Global Exchange and Rainforest Action Network.