Re: E-M:/ Science must lead way, not religion

I was trying to make a point which maybe I didn't make clearly. I disagreed with the statement that was both the subject line and in the body of the email. Specifically "Science must lead way, not religion." To me they go together.

My heart and my head need to work together, both individually and collectively. I associate my heart with religion and my head with science. Science can be used destructively by misguided, greedy and angry people just as religion can. Where are my values? What is the root of my behavior?

I agree with Michael Lerner, organizer of the NSP (Network of Spiritual Progressives, see www.spiritualprogressives.org) that 1) the so-called left or progressive side of politics often denigrates and is arrogant when in discussions with the so-called right or fundamentalist side of politics. 2) the Democrats and Greens and environmentalists need to examine what the roots of their source of support is. Why do so many people like George Bush? What are the unconscious reasons? Paul Levy is also an interesting writer to me here. Maybe their emphasis on family and connection and community and faith speaks to something that is lacking on the left or progressive side, that so often emphasizes economics and materialism and environmental survival. (These are my words not M. Lerner's). If you are political as I am, we need to find ways to communicate with the other individuals where religion is important. 3) We need to organize and unite people of "faith" who are religious or spiritual with people who are secular or atheist.

My previous email was not arguing that science was not important. It was not saying that religion and science should be taught together. I thought that "delavan" did a beautiful job of discussing the importance of both science and religion. I agree "We are all individual, yet one with all that exists."

peace,
joyce