Re: E-M:/ New Michigan water export threat

I'd say it's not a new threat, rather, an old reality.

Back in 2000, MDA, MEDC, and MEGA "persuaded" Minute Maid to accept $5M
to pump out more, faster, near the Paw Paw River:

   http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-2961_2968_4811-14153--,00.html

   Paw Paw Beats Texas for Minute Maid Fruit Juice Plant Expansion

   OAD cooperated with Michigan Economic
   Development Corporation staff in
   successful negotiations to persuade the
   Minute Maid Company to expand in
   Michigan. Minute Maid Company, a
   division of the Coca-Cola Company,
   expanded its Paw Paw, Michigan plant
   rather than close down and move to Waco,
   Texas. Stiff competition resulted between
   the two states due to the $54 million
   investment and 150 new direct jobs at the
   Paw Paw plant. The Michigan Economic
   Growth Authority (MEGA) approved an
   estimated $5 million tax credit over 17 years
   to consummate the decision. While Minute
   Maid procures most of its juice from Florida
   and California, Michigan apples should be a
   juice source for some of the new product
   lines. It's expected that the new "pouch"
   juice packages will be produced at the plant
   as well as an expansion of existing items.

Coca-Cola also owns Dasani, but I'm not aware of their pumping it here.

Minute Maid sells more water or less, depending upon the product:

  100-percent juice -- water coming through a tree seems acceptable
  100-percent juice "from concentrate" -- thus water from elsewhere
  10-25 percent "juice drinks" -- thus 75 to 90 percent groundwater
  "Just 10" low-calorie and 5% fruit juice -- thus 95 percent local
  Several "Light" versions having 3% fruit juice -- thus 97 percent

Courtesy of Coca-Cola:  "over a billion servings per day" worldwide.

GS

> David Holtz wrote:
>
> A reasonable question is asked regarding aggressive new moves to
> privatize and export Michigan's water disclosed over the weekend in
> the Muskegon Chronicle.
>
> "After the Muskegon River watershed and the White River watershed,
> which river is next for Nestle?  Is any river in the state safe from
> this?"  Tom Hamilton, vice chairman of the White River Watershed
> Partnership.
>
> Bottlers Aim To Drill in Newaygo County
> http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-10/11596977184010.xml&coll=8

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them