Re: E-M:/ New Michigan water export threat

Enviro-Mich message from "Chuck Cubbage" <charles.cubbage@comcast.net>

I have followed most of the dialogue regarding water export on EnviroMich. It seems to me that there are some very valid concerns when the withdrawal jeopardizes the local ground water or surface water resource. That is a real risk and should be a concern.

The other end of the spectrum is where local brew pubs suck up gobs of water that is consumed locally and presumable within short order put back into the watershed, albeit some distance from the source.

On the other hand, I'm wondering how to find some reasonable determination of what makes sense for both most of us and for resource protection? I don't see much rationale for an example where it could be noted that Michigan cows drink water sufficient to produce milk and hence the milk, sold out of state is a risk of exporting beyond the limits of the water resource. CAFOs clearly risk the water resource in another dimension. But at what point does the dialogue move the area where an informed public will question the issues raised?

I jest somewhat, but the discussions can move from real concerns to the udderly ridiculous. I am not implying that the email from Gary is this way at all. I just see a trend that I caution against. On the other hand, even for the env conscious individuals who have no background on water quantity and quality, there needs to be a clear discussion of from those who do have that info.

Regards,
Chuck