E-M:/ SEMG Sierra Club Meeting-Thursday, Oct 5th "The Geology of Michigan"

Enviro-Mich message from Carol Izant <cogknot@yahoo.com>

YOU ARE INVITED TO ATTEND:

SEMG Sierra Club General Membership Meeting
Thursday, October 5, 2006
Northwest Unitarian-Universalist Church
23925 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI 48075
(located along the southbound service drive of the
John Lodge Fwy between 9 & 10 Mile)
Potluck 630-730pm
Program 730-9pm

"Getting to the Rock Bottom of Things: The Geology of
Michigan"
A Presentation by John Zawiskie, Cranbrook Institute
of Science/WSU Dept of Geology

In a lively & intellectually stimulating approach,
geologist John Zawiskie will unlock the secrets to
Michigan's past...and by that, we mean the geologic
past as revealed in the rock and fossil record. As
becomes evidently clear in the course of his
presentation, Michigan and the Great Lakes have seen
it all...from warm, tropical oceans to the frozen
glaciers of the Ice Ages. Professor Zawiskie will
share with us the findings from his latest research
project concerning an ancient submerged conifer forest
in Lake Huron and the implications of climate change
and fluctuating lake levels. It is guaranteed you will
walk away from this meeting with a newfound awe and
appreciation of our Great Lakes and the State of
Michigan. Please join us! All are welcome!

If you are coming for the potluck portion of the
evening, please bring a dish to pass! The potluck will
be held from 630-730pm after which time the meeting
will begin (usually lasting until 9pm). For more
information about the Southeast MI Group (SEMG) of the
Sierra Club, please check out our website at
http://michigan.sierraclub.org/semg