E-M:/ Michigan Bus Tour Highlights Environmental Plight of Poor, Minorities

For Immediate Release

Oct. 23, 2006

Contact:

 Donele Wilkins

 Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice, (313) 833-3935, (313) 478-2398 cell

Kathryn Savoie

Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services, (313) 216-2225, (313) 443-6201 cell

Bus Odyssey Spotlights Environmental Injustices of Poor, Minorities in State’s Most Polluted Regions

Thursday Event Includes Stops in Dearborn, Detroit, Saginaw, Lansing, Grand Rapids

The disproportionate share of health and environmental problems that burden communities of color and low-income neighborhoods will be explored in the “Environmental Justice For All” bus tour Thursday, Oct. 26 with press events in Metro Detroit, Saginaw, Lansing and Grand Rapids.

Elected officials, environmental advocates, students, reporters and activists are invited to join the effort to learn more about environmental concerns that compromise people’s rights to clean, safe and healthy communities in urban settings.

Grassroots efforts to protect residents will be highlighted, as will a groundbreaking environmental justice executive order under consideration by Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

“The concept of environmental justice may seem abstract from Congress or the halls of the Capitol in Lansing,” said Donele Wilkins, of Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice.  “This bus tour will demonstrate the reality that communities of color and the poor are living with across our state – the levels of pollution we live with, and the health outcomes that result. And this tour is bringing together people to say that we need to change the way we do things, to better protect our communities.”

Opportunities for media interviews and ride-alongs are:

8:30 a.m., Dearborn: Gather to board the bus, which departs at 9 a.m. for a tour through Dearborn and southwest Detroit neighborhoods.

11:30 a.m., Saginaw: Press conference at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 915 Federal, followed by a 12:30 p.m. community tour/discussion starting at the First Ward Community Center, 1410 Twelfth St.

3:00 p.m., Lansing: Press conference at State Capitol, Room 55E

5:00 p.m., Grand Rapids, Walking tour of neighborhood starting at Wealthy Theatre, 1130 Wealthy St.

The tour is sponsored by:

Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS), Campaign for State Action on Environmental Justice, Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice, East Michigan Environmental Action Council, Ecology Center, Michigan Environmental Council, Our Kitchen Table

##

Hugh McDiarmid Jr.

Communications Director

Michigan Environmental Council