Re: E-M:/ Advocacy

Imagine not having to *_imagine_* living in such a community :-)

Judging from the material on those websites, we need Grossman et al to
provide the workshop here in Michigan!

I've long observed that Michigan has most of the statutory tools needed
for the kind of land use control that citizens actually _want_, but
communities rarely take advantage of the methods.  In most places, that
suppression of self-rule is due to relatively constant efforts by local
builders and Realtors -- the "corporate" entities controlling most
community decisions -- overriding the authority of residents and
landowners.  Now and then, it's a transportation or "Community
Redevelopment" agency taking the lead (but fronting for the same
interests).  It's tempting to blame residents for "not staying
involved," but they've been trained to believe it's pointless!

BTW, if you're interested in this arena, and want to read an encouraging
history, see Robert A. Lemire's:

   Creative Land Development - Bridge to the Future

...available just about anywhere:

   http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&isbn=0395285909&nsa=1

It describes Lincoln, Massachusetts' largely successful effort to
control its own destiny, establish the best uses of land for the
community's needs, and limit public subsidies for infrastructure to
serve private developments.

I'm serious about inviting them to do the workshop here!  I'll start by
offering the $300 I'd save on travel to Maine, to support the effort
(presuming that will buy me a seat not _too_ far from Kalamazoo :-)

GS

> E-michers: Wanted to share this information with you. Imagine
> actually living in a community, watershed or state where
> citizens were really empowered. Where democracy and open doors
> were not just " political " buzzwords but the very foundation
> upon which strategy and  decision making evolved.
>
> Michelle Hurd Riddick
> Lone Tree Council
>
> From Steve Chase
> Director, Environmental Advocacy and Organizing Program
> Department of Environmental Studies at Antioch University New England:
>
> Recently, two graduates of Antioch University's Environmental
> Advocacy and Organizing Program started a new movement-building
> organization in New England called Advocates for Community
> Empowerment (ACE). The mission of the organization is to help
> empower local communities to go beyond conventional regulatory
> strategies and secure a truly democratic future by enacting
> enforceable by-laws and ordinances that place control in the
> hands of "we the people" while stripping corporations of their
> illegitimate power to usurp people's rights to a clean and
> healthy environment. This strategy has already been used to
> good effect in western Pennsylvania through the efforts of
> Tom Linzey and the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund
> (CELDF).
>
> As one of the main activist training tools for helping local
> communities in New England learn more about this new organizing
> model, Ellen and Steve will soon begin offering "Daniel Pennock
> Democracy School" weekend workshops in New England communities
> that were first developed by Tom Linzey of CELDEF and Richard
> Grossman, a founder of the Program on Cororations, Law, and
> Democracy (POCLAD). If you haven't heard about this grassroots
> strategy to challenge corporate rule through local organizing,
> or about this important activist training tool, you owe it
> yourself to learn more. For more information, go to
> http://eaop-blog.blogspot.com/.
>
> All my best,
> Steve
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Steve Chase, Ph.D.
> Director, Environmental Advocacy and Organizing Program
> Department of Environmental Studies at Antioch University New England
> 40 Avon Street, Keene, NH 03431
> 603-283-2336; 603-357-0618 (fax); Steven_Chase@antiochne.edu
>
> * EAOP's Main Website: http://www.antiochne.edu/es/eao/default.cfm
> * EAOP's "The Well-Trained Activist" Blog: http://eaop-blog.blogspot.com
> * EAOP's Online Bookstore: http://www.antiochne.edu/es/eao/bookstore.cfm
> (7.5% of your purchase price will be donated to the EAOP Scholarship
> Fund at not extra cost to you.)
>
> To learn more, check out the study, ACTIVIST TRAINING IN THE ACADEMY:
> DEVELOPING A MASTER'S PROGRAM IN ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCACY AND ORGANIZING,
> at http://www.antiochne.edu/directory/page.cfm?page_id=230&id=1800014802&Type=Page

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them