Re: E-M:/ SHAME -MNRTF Board of Trustees Sets Special Meeting for November 9

LuAnne,

Thanks for digging up the information on the Trust Fund board members.  I hadn't had time to look into Doug Cowherd's questions, so I'm glad that you were able to.  Thanks.

As to the Rouge Park situation, I'm glad that it appears to be safe for now.  But who knows when the next threat will emerge?  Perhaps it will be another portion of the park, or perhaps the City will target other parks.  A Detroit City Council "Town Hall" meeting had been scheduled for Oct. 18 in the area but was canceled that night under questionable circumstances.  It was claimed that a power failure prohibited the meeting from taking place at the school, but the school must have had a good backup generator, since a number of inside lights and parking lot lights were on.  Rumors swirled that the Detroit Public Lighting Department, which provides lights to the area, may have encountered an executive order.  It was just a rumor, I believe...but thought provoking.  (The City Council Town Hall meeting has been rescheduled for Nov. 1.)

Perhaps it also helped that the bids on the prime park land were ridiculously low.  But...that could have been greater incentive for the "developers" to push forward.  What was not reported in the press was that Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's father--Bernard Kilpatrick--was involved in one of the development consortiums trying to privatize and develop Rouge Park.

Wayne County has never had a reputation for protecting it's parks (hundreds of acres were given away in the early 1970s) and the City of Detroit doesn't seem to have a clue as to the importance of parks in any revitalization efforts.  Hopefully, some of the City's new Park officials will be more receptive to protecting Rouge Park and the other vital parks in the City of Detroit.  We can only hope.

Jack Smiley