E-M:/ Oct. 31 Ogden Twp mtg to discuss (another Vreba Hoff) cow farm

Title: Printer-friendly version
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/NEWS17/610310343&SearchID=73261551619902

Folks:  See the article at the link above, a snippet is pasted in below.  This facility, if built, would house 5000 cows in a Michigan watershed already harmed by Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.  The owners, the Vreba Hoffs, have already had multiple violations of Michigan's Clean Water laws, and were forced by MDEQ to build a manure water press-treatment system.  The Sierra Club documents serious issues with their management practices at least monthly, and very often weekly and daily - yet they continue to expand and build and grow.  Bigger is not better!
Tonight, an information meeting is being held by area farmers who want to share the truth about what to expect if and when such a huge animal factory facility is built.  Click the link below, and attend the meeting if you can.  Note a similar meeting was held by citizens in Gratiot County a few weeks ago.  It was standing room only.

Take note that Michigan citizens are starting to stand up and cry out, "What can we do to stop these facilities from hurting our rural community and our way of life, and our home?  What can we DO?"

Are Michigan lawmakers and decision-makers listening to them?  They'd better start.

-Rita Jack, Michigan Sierra Club

Article published October 31, 2006
Ogden Township meeting to discuss plan for cow farm

OGDEN CENTER, Mich. - Residents will meet informally tonight to discuss plans for what could become one of the region's largest concentrated animal feeding operations: a 5,000-cow farm southwest of Blissfield in Michigan's Lenawee County.

The forum will be at 7 p.m. in Ogden Township Hall on Pence Highway. No vote will be taken because it is not a township board meeting. Ed Pifer, a farmer and event co-organizer, said it is in response to a presentation made last Wednesday at the Fairfield Township board meeting in which Vreba-Hoff Dairy Development revealed plans to have such a facility built on 200 acres at Mulberry and Treat roads.