Re: E-M:/ FW: [tfoe] [ALACOUN:18529] Stealth Closure of Principal EPA Chemical Library

No doubt, the lot of them deserve criticism for allowing it.

However, note that the closures are unilateral action on the part of the
Bush White House.  As PEER reported last summer:

   http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=731

...the budget that would cause the cuts has not been passed (and, IIRC,
will not be acted upon until _after_ the upcoming elections).  Early
news of this plan went around the library circuit by mid-February, 2006.
 At that time, there was some optimism (believe it or not) that by
correcting the budget cuts, Bush would do less harm.  Thus librarians'
lobbying went largely toward fixing the budget.

However, the closures are going forward with no Congressional
concurrence -- in part because once the documents are physically removed
from public access, there is essentially _no_ means by which anyone can
request them, FOIA or otherwise.  Some of what will be "deaccessioned"
(or, as we might as well say, "shitcanned") will include any directories
or catalogues:  unless you know what to ask for, specifically, you can't
FOIA it!

Simultaneously, there have been claims that the "real" intent is to
digitize the data and make it more available.  Funniest.  Intro.  Ever.

   http://www.epa.gov/natlibra/Library_Plan_National_Framework081506final.pdf

   Over the past three years, EPA has been looking at ways to
   modernize and improve the way it provides library services
   to its employees and the public.

If you didn't know what Bush's EPA-meisters were doing, that plan would
sound almost as though intended to improve public access.  When you stop laughing...

   http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2006/08/EPA%20closes%20libraries.html

   According to an analysis by PEER, referrals for new environmental
   criminal prosecutions fell 33 percent between 2000 and 2005.
   Referrals for civil prosecutions dropped 44 percent during the
   same period...

If you can't make the EPA go away, just make the data go away!

In what should push the terror level to blaze orange, all the documents
are being stacked (with no plan or catalogue for finding them again) in
three warehouses in "undisclosed locations."  Maybe Dick Cheney will be
the new librarian?

Don't forget to vote  :-)

GS

"Link, Terry" wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>
>
> Mike Rogers, Debi Stabenow, and Carl Levin,
>
> Where are you on this demolition of EPA Libraries?

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them