Re: E-M:/ Vote NO on Proposal 1?

Andrew,

Thank you for providing the link to the relevant state statute.  At least it appears that the language of Proposal 1 is in line with existing state law.  However, to embed those formulas into the Constitution--to ensure that there is little chance of using those tax dollars more effectively or for conservation--seems questionable at best.

What I found interesting in the original state law was that the Legislature made a legislative finding that 2% of all gasoline sold in the state was used for watercraft, snowmobiles and registered off-road vehicles.  I haven't seen the study upon which that estimate was likely based, but I would be interested to know if the Department of Transportation has done any recent studies in that regard--especially since the original study was done prior to 1992*(*see below).  From my perspective from driving in the volumes of traffic in southeast Michigan, I would think that 2% might be on the high side.

I understand that there is a real temptation to put certain aspects of Michigan government into the State Constitution--but the Constitution should not become a reconstituted version of Michigan Compiled Laws.

Jack Smiley

324.71103 Legislative finding; joint report.

Sec. 71103.

(1) The legislature finds that 2.0% of all of the gasoline sold in this state for consumption in internal combustion engines is used to generate power for the operation or propulsion of vessels on the waterways of this state, of off-road vehicles, and of snowmobiles.

(2) The department and the state transportation department shall prepare a joint report to the legislature by January 1, 1992, providing their estimate of actual gasoline and diesel fuel usage based on any data collected from March 30, 1988 to January 1, 1991 and their observation of the historical trends of gasoline and diesel fuel usage in this state for the following categories:

(a) Off-road vehicles.

(b) Watercraft.

(c) Snowmobiles.

History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995
Popular Name: Act 451