E-M:/ Free Speech

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Poulson" <poulson@msu.edu>

Want to be an environmental journalist?

Stop by Michigan State University at 6 p.m. next Monday or Wednesday. The
university's Knight Center for Environmental Journalism is launching a
citizen journalism effort that targets the Great Lakes region.

It's a new way of doing journalism that harnesses the collective intellect
of the region's citizens.  The project uses wiki software to create a
collaboration of citizens, journalists, scientists, hunters, students,
environmentalists, policy wonks, musicians, business executives, poets,
anglers, filmmakers, photographers, academics and others.

A group of MSU students have been developing the concept this semester. It's
not quite ready for public launch, but next week they will solicit ideas and
citizen journalists at two informal workshops in room 245 of MSU's
Communication Arts and Sciences building.  Here's a chance to get in on the
ground floor of a new way of bringing public attention to your favorite
environmental or Great Lakes issue.  After all, who knows more about it then
you?

Space is limited. If you're interested in reserving a slot, send me a quick
e-mail.

And if you're intrigued but can't come, stay tuned. Once we get this
juggernaut rolling, we'll let you know how to get involved.

Dave Poulson
Associate Director
Knight Center for Environmental Journalism
Michigan State University
poulson@msu.edu
432 5417