E-M:/ Talking Global Warming

Hi E/M Team,

Some of our leaders sound uncomfortable talking about global warming. To try to improve comfort levels, I put the following together to share with many people and thought you might be interested.

frank
(Frank Zaski)

Talking Global Warming

1. The fact is global warming exists. It is having a negative impact and it will have an even greater impact on plants, animals and humans. (There are many sources that substantiate this.)  So our leaders should feel comfortable talking about facts.

2. Most Americans believe global warming is real and something needs to be done about it. One example, in a NWF/MUCC survey, 80% of Michigan sportsmen believe global warming is real, a threat and action is needed. Our leaders should feel comfortable knowing most of their listeners are probably believers.

3. There are many people and organizations that openly address the problems of global warming. It is a quality of life issue that affects all of us and discussion and action has to be taken by all. While liberals have often taken the lead in these discussions, many conservatives are joining in. (After all, this should not be a political issue.) The following is a list of some of the conservatives and organizations that now openly discuss global warming as a problem needing to be addressed.

Conservative Politicians

Governors Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Pataki

Republican Senators McCain, Chafee, Snowe, Collins, Coleman, Lugar and DeWine

The organization - Republicans for Environmental Protection

Tony Blair

Religious Groups

National Association of Evangelicals

National Council of Churches

The Vatican and the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops

Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life

Islamic Foundation for Ecology and Environmental Sciences

Utility Executives and Companies

Paul Anderson, Duke Energy Chairman

Peter Darbee, PG&E CEO

Jim Rogers, Cinergy CEO

American Electric Power

Corporations

GE, Wal-Mart, Alcoa, Boeing,  DuPont, Georgia Pacific, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel, Lockheed Martin, PG&E, Rohm and Haas, SC Johnson, Toyota, United Technologies and Weyerhaeuser among others.

Investor and Insurance Groups

Merrill Lynch, Franklin Templeton, Dreyfus, State Street Global Advisors, John Hancock Financial Services, New York state and city employee pension funds, California Public Employees' Retirement System (Calpers), Bank of America, Munich Re, Swiss Reinsurance, Marsh, Travelers, Fireman's Fund, Allianz AG

It’s OK for our leaders to talk about solving the problems of global warming with any group. We all have the right no matter the audience, be they utility executives, ultra-conservatives, religious right or other. Many of these people may just be in the process of recognizing the facts.