Re: E-M:/ Vote NO on Proposal 1?

Robert Isaac wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Robert Isaac" <rjisaac@gmail.com>
>
> > Let me be clear:  I felt _less_ inclined to vote for Proposal 06-1 as a
> > result of seeing "msu.edu" in the address of obvious lobbying from
> > someone who works for MUCC -- or in this context, perhaps even MHSA.
>
> So why not spare us the long-winded rigmarole and simply ask her to
> use her MUCC address (if it exists) for this list?  The politicians
> are bandying about enough hot air for all of us (and at the same time
> ducking the issues, surprise... surprise). :-)

Because I care about our collective ability to advocate effectively.
The way to improve is to share knowledge about what is, or is not,
influential.  Some people want to learn.

If you personally don't want to learn about a topic then... hmmm... then
explanations from educated people constitute hot air and long-winded
rigamarole?!

Yikes!  Now _that_ sounds a lot like a politician to me :-)

> > (Either of them certainly can afford to add one e-mail account :-)
>
> I wouldn't be so sure of that, Microsoft charges $450 for each install
> of MS office which soon adds up on any network of size.  It is very
> possible for these organizations  to not be able to afford to give
> everyone working for them access to an email client at their
> workstation, if they so foolishly insist on using the Microsoft
> platform.  I have worked for companies without monetary problems where
> supervisors have been forced to use Yahoo.com for company email due to
> the above mentioned licensing costs.

That's the difference between those who learn, and those who don't:  I
_would_ be sure.  Mail services to MUCC _are_ a subset of
premiumservices.yahoo.com, which costs around two dollars per month, per
account, IIRC.

While we're learning... from a technical perspective, it's essentially
impossible for any POP or IMAP service -- that is, any SMTP service, any
normal e-mail service on the public internet -- to require Microsoft
Office in order to send or receive mail.

You might get stuck in a peculiar contract with Redmond; you might use a
lot of proprietary address books or graphic presentations; your office
might even have a _policy_ of requiring everyone to use Outlook or
Exchange, for example.  Those are business decisions, and likely poor
ones.  However, there is no inherent aspect of text e-mail that requires
a particular client to read it.

See how good it is to learn?  Now we're all _less_ like politicians!

You're welcome!

GS

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them