E-M:/ Our new energy policy directions:

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

This news off the monthly(November issue) "Driving Change" an electronic newsletter from the Better World Club (an alternative to AAA). www.betterworldclub.com

Former Exxon Chair Lee Raymond Named to Lead U.S. Energy Study Before Better World Can Grab Him for Our Board

Given his $400 Million Golden Parachute, We Thought We Could Get Him Cheap

Bush Administration Continues Putting Industry Reps in Conflicted Positions

Gee, How About Dick Cheney for Physical Fitness? Tom DeLay for Ethics? Bill Clinton for Abstinence?

U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman has named former Exxon CEO Lee Raymond to chair a commission providing the Bush Administration with direction for America's long-term energy policy.

According to the National Petroleum Council's website, "The purpose of the NPC is solely to represent the views of the oil and natural gas industries in advising, informing, and making recommendations to the Secretary of Energy with respect to any matter relating to oil and natural gas...."

How lucky for the U.S., how thoughtful of the oil and gas industries, how convenient that the industry had put together an organization to create forward-thinking policy recommendations and assess alternative energy options. Who better to examine how the US can move away from oil and gas?

This was apparently lost on the 60,000 people who have written Secretary Bodman to tell him to give the study to a body more qualified and balanced than Lee Raymond and the NPC. But the Administration did such a good job with their first energy proposals, meeting almost solely with industry groups, what did the letter writers want? Or expect?

Terry Link, Director
Office of Campus Sustainability
Michigan State University
106 Olds Hall