E-M:/ Ideas Consumers Can Truly Use

Hello,

I joined this list not because I am well-educated on all things environmental, but because I want to learn more, understand better, and ultimately help save our planet.  I've found very little information how to begin to do that, and I'm hoping for some help.  Unfortunately, I don't have the money to install solar panels on my roof, replace all of my appliances, or any of the more costly options available to homeowners.  What I can do is remind my kids to turn off the lights; have leaky faucets fixed immediately; turn the furnace down at night or when I'm not home.

Surely there are people on this list who know more than that - what can I do, in a way that is either free or inexpensive, or at the very least will be extremely cost effective, to help make my home and/or vehicle a little more eco-friendly?