E-M:/ RE: / Ideas Consumers Can Truly Use

I have a question related to this I would like to pose to this group.
What actions/initiatives/tools would help to influence people in making decisions to be more energy efficient, purchase environmentally preferred products?  How do we change this?

Amy A Butler
Chief, Environmental Science and Services
DEQ
517-241-0490

>>> <gannonj@windsor.ijc.org> 11/20/2006 12:09 PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from <gannonj@windsor.ijc.org>

Sarah:  This is a very good question and the I suspect the conscientious
folks on this list-serve will provide lots of pertinent information.
One of my favorite sources is the Union of Concerned Scientists free
"Green Tips" e-newsletter:

greentips@ucsaction.org

We all have the same dilemma that you pose...to do the best we can
within our personal budget limitations and choices we make, and to pass
along environmental ethics and the challenges and opportunities in
achieving environmentally sustainable economic development to the next
generation. When our children were still at home, it became a fun
exercise to see how little waste we could generate in daily activities.
Much of the capital cost items (energy efficient window replacement,
solar hot water, etc. had to wait untilwe paid for dental braces,
college tuition, etc. for three children. The government rebate helped
with the solar hot water expense. We have a separate electric meter for
our hot water heater that dates back to the energy crises of the 1970's.
We got distinct pleasure answering a knock on the door recently; it was
the electric company to repair our broken meter and we told him to look
on the roof!

John E. Gannon
Dexter, MI