Re: E-M:/ Ideas Consumers Can Truly Use

Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@gmail.com>

Add-ons to this "buy local food" idea, which is of course excellent by my sights -- are 1) to start as soon as possible growing your own food, which is not only about as cost-effective an idea as you can find, but also a lot of fun; 2) preserve it yourself by learning canning (and freeziing to a lesser degree); and 3) compost your organic waste for use in the garden. There is some investment in number 2, but it repays itself many times over. Also, buy fair trade coffee if you drink coffee. (Sierra Club actually sells it I believe.)

Another idea, though not as inexpensive, is to purchase clothing and other goods made from hemp or bamboo, which are easily renewable and not grown with the dreadful pesticides normally used on cotton and flax --- or buy organic cotton. There are businesses springing up all over that sell these kinds of goods -- in Grand Rapids it's Clothing Matters and a few others. Some shops are specializing in clothing and "stuff" made out of all recycled materials. And also along those same lines, particularly for children's clothing, shop at Goodwill and other used clothing/household goods places.

In our area (and I'm pretty sure I've seen it posted from other areas too), concerned groups are hosting eco-sensitive product fairs for Christmas purchasing.

A big boost for "the environment" and cost-saving as well would be to work out some kind of outdoor-machines-sharing scheme with neighbors, particularly as far as lawn-mowers, which seem to be a requirement for not getting kicked out of most neighborhoods. This might also work with some appliances, such as washing machines, but it would be a stretch.

I believe Shaklee products are good but would like to get others' perspective on that.

Other sources for green ideas: www.greenconsumerguide.com, www.eartheasy.com (which has not only product but conservation tips, etc.). In fact, googling "green consumerism" yields a whole lot.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Wish I could claim I'm doing it all, but I'm certainly, and regrettably, not!

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council