E-M:/ Poor MDEQ News Release Timing

On a day when Michigan is experiencing some of the worst PM 2.5
air pollution we've had in recent months and which poses health risks
particularly sensitive individuals, the Michigan DEQ PR Department puts out this news release
on how we are supposed to be in ozone attainment now.    Talk about
poor timing!!

MDEQ never puts out any news releases about public health hazards from
PM 2.5 episodes..... at times when sensitive individuals should be told to
limit outdoor exersion and exposures.

.....This speaks volumes about the priorities of the MDEQ PR managers as to
risk communication......  only "happy news" allowed.

================

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 27, 2006

Contact:  Robert McCann
                (517) 241-7397

DEQ Request to Redesignate 11 Counties Approved
Michigan Counties Are Meeting Federal Ozone Standards

Statewide efforts to improve Michigan?s air quality have resulted in the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approving a request by the Department of Environmental Quality to redesignate eleven counties as in attainment with the ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standard.  The proposed redesignation includes the counties of Ingham, Eaton, Clinton, Kent, Ottawa, Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Benzie, Mason, and Huron.

?We are continuing to make significant progress in improving the air quality across Michigan,? said DEQ Director Steven E. Chester.  ?These efforts are protecting the health of Michigan?s families and ensuring the quality of Michigan?s environment.?

Elevated ozone concentrations can cause breathing problems, especially for children, people with lung disease, and those who work or exercise outdoors for prolonged periods.  The DEQ demonstrated that every ground-level ozone monitor located in the 11 counties meets the federal standards and that continued attainment through the year 2018 can be expected.

Redesignation to attainment status more accurately reflects air quality conditions in the 11 counties and will remove a disincentive for economic growth.  Federal guidelines make it more difficult to open a new manufacturing facility, or expand an existing one, in a nonattainment county because of restrictions on air permitting in those counties.

?We are demonstrating that Michigan can have both a healthy environment and a healthy economy,? added Director Chester.  ?The DEQ will continue to pursue air pollution reductions throughout Michigan, and do so in a way that allows our state to grow and prosper.?

The EPA?s action will be officially proposed in the Federal Register, and the public will have 30 days to comment on the proposed action after it is published.

For more information on air quality where you live, visit the DEQ ?AIR? Web page at www.michigan.gov/deqair.

#####

?Protecting Michigan?s Environment, Ensuring Michigan?s Future?

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com