E-M:/ Detroiter Delivers Gore Climate Presentation

Hello Enviro-Mich:

I am very excited to have been a part of the Climate Project training led by former Vice President Al Gore, and I feel a strong sense of urgency about this topic.  I would like to ask the environmental community’s support in three ways:

  1. Host a presentation, or put me in touch with someone who wants a presentation! I want to reach as many people as possible.

  1. If you know an individual, group or business who would be willing to sponsor the purchase of a high-quality LCD projector for my use in giving these presentations, it would greatly assist my efforts, and allow me to reach many grassroots groups that do not have a projector.  Tax-deductible donations, earmarked for that purpose, can be made to The Climate Project (www.theclimateproject.org), and I would be glad to insert a slide in my presentation acknowledging the sponsor.

  1. Help me identify resources and groups that are doing work on global warming/climate change in Michigan. I feel strongly that it is important to point people to local resources and opportunities for collective action, in addition to individual actions they can take.

Please contact me at answerthecall@accesscommunity.org. Thank you!

Kathryn Savoie

DETROIT RESIDENT ATTENDS

INAUGURAL GLOBAL WARMING TRAINING SESSION

GIVEN BY AL GORE AND THE CLIMATE PROJECT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Kathryn Savoie, Ph.D.

(313) 216-2225

(313) 443-6201 – cell phone

November 27, 2006

Kathryn Savoie, a resident of Detroit, recently returned from Nashville, Tennessee, where she was trained by former Vice President Al Gore and his team of scientists and educators to present her version of Mr. Gore’s presentation on the global warming crisis, documented in the film and book, An Inconvenient Truth.

Dr. Savoie, an ecologist who has worked in the environmental field for more than twenty years, and is now the Environmental Program Director at the Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS) in Dearborn, Michigan, was one of fifty persons chosen out of over 1,000 applicants to attend the first training, which took place from September 24-26.

“Kathryn Savoie is an outstanding example of the millions of Americans who have been energized by the call to action on the climate crisis,” said Gore.   “We are so pleased that she has made a serious commitment to this challenge by coming to Nashville to become part of this unprecedented grassroots effort.”

“Kathryn will be spending the next year making presentations in Detroit and around the state of Michigan discussing how individuals and businesses, schools, and other organizations can be a major part of the solution to the growing crisis of global warming,” continued Gore.

After the documentary film An Inconvenient Truth was released, Al Gore decided to recruit and train a team of 1,000 responsible and motivated individuals to present a modified version of his presentation about global warming, chronicled in the film.  Mr. Gore’s goal is simple yet visionary in scope: to deploy these messengers throughout the U.S. – and eventually in other countries – to actively promote presentations to educate and energize the public to take action on global warming solutions.

“This is a crisis, and we have a limited window of opportunity to prevent the worst impacts of global warming. I want to act now to ensure that our children and grandchildren will have a world they can live in,” said Savoie, “I work every day to educate people about environmental issues, but until now, I have not felt well-equipped to reach people on the issue of global warming. Al Gore’s presentation provided me with the best scientific information and solutions, along with compelling images that can be easily understood by the general public.”

Dr. Savoie is ready to begin spreading the message through this presentation.  She is interested in speaking to parents, students, religious groups, community organizations, elected officials, PTAs and other organizations.  To schedule a presentation, call (313) 216-2225, or e-mail answerthecall@accesscommunity.org.

Kathryn Savoie, Ph.D.

Environmental Program Director

Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS)

6450 Maple Street

Dearborn MI 48126

(313) 216-2225

ksavoie@accesscommunity.org