RE: E-M:/ Big Rock Nuke Site a State Park? Log your group's opposition before Thursday

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

Does the state already own land adjoining the property
proposed to be acquired at Big Rock? Or would this be
creating a new state park or recreation area with this
acquisition?

Andrew Mutch
Novi

--- Hugh McDiarmid <Hughmec@voyager.net> wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Hugh McDiarmid"
> <Hughmec@voyager.net>

> Gary:
>
> You make good and valid points, and raise worthwhile
> questions that have no
> easy answers.
>
> I think it's worth noting, too, that the choice
> isn't simply "acquire Big
> Rock or don't" - it is "acquire Big Rock or acquire
> one or more of many
> other proposed MNRTF purchases that are up for
> consideration."
>
> MNRTF has about $35 million to dole out next week,
> choosing between 162
> proposals asking for $63 million in funding this
> year alone. Many of those
> properties also boast unique, undisturbed natural
> features; opportunity for
> public recreation;  etc. etc. I see on the list
> trailways, timber land,
> dunes, riparian lands, wetlands, and any number of
> worthwhile acquisitions
> that do not come with the legacy and potential risks
> at Big Rock.
>
> So, while the question of "what happens to Big Rock"
> if the state doesn't
> purchase it is perfectly valid; the converse is,
> "what happens to (proposal
> X's property) if the money is used for Big Rock is
> equally valid.
>
> Big Rock isn't being considered in a vacuum, it's
> competing to make the cut
> with many other applicants.
>
> Furthermore, the inherent dangers of nuclear
> waste......ooops! sorry....I'll
> abide by your deal!!
>

> Regards, Hugh

Yahoo! Music Unlimited