E-M:/ Big Rock and Trust Fund Board

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

There's been quite a bit of discussion of this by the
Trust Fund Board already. Based on these comments from
the August meeting, Sam Washington appears to be
opposed to moving forward with this:

"Chairperson Washington asked how much lakefront there
was. Mr. Bailey responded 1.5 miles. Chairperson
Washington asked what the total Lake Michigan
lakefront was. Mr. Bailey responded he did not know
the exact amount. Chairperson Washington stated that
there are
other linear lakefront miles in Michigan. He questions
why we would want to buy 1.5 miles of it that has a
nuclear waste site in the middle. He cannot imagine a
scenario where he would support this project as long
as this waste site is there, because there are
hundreds of other projects that don?t have nuclear
waste on them. The Board has a very limited amount of
money
to allocate for projects and is trying to use it as
judiciously as possible. It seems to him from all
he has heard as though the State of Michigan does not
want to own this property. The federal government does
not want to own this property. The Nuclear Regulatory
Commission does not want to own this property. He
cannot imagine someone advertising condos with a view
of a nuclear waste site.

Mr. Bailey stated that that there are single family
homes right up to the property line that are bringing
premium prices. Chairperson Washington asked if this
area has always been patrolled. Mr. Bailey responded
yes. Chairperson Washington added that he does not
feel comfortable with this project."

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/TFMinutes81606_175946_7.pdf

There's more discussion at that meeting and also at
the  April meeting:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TFMinutes-April192006_163308_7.pdf

More details here:

http://www.record-eagle.com/2006/jul/12bigrock.htm

In the interest of disclosure, the City of Novi does
have a project seeking funding from the Trust Fund
this year so whatever decision the Board makes with
Big Rock could potentially affect whether our project
gets funded or not.

Andrew Mutch
Novi

http://terraservice.net/image.aspx?T=1&S=13&Z=16&X=400&Y=3139&W=2

> >Different center and scale, but a topo version of
> the vicinity:
> >

>http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.35892&lon=-85.19712&datum=nad83&u=4&l
> >ayer=DRG&size=m&s=200
> >

> >I'm far more familiar with lands near facilities in
> Van Buren and
> >Berrien Counties.  If (when :-) those are
> decommissioned, nearly ~1,000
> >undeveloped acres in proximity to each one _need_
> to be kept intact
> >under one management, and _not_ developed.   The
> sites are less
> >contaminated than Big Rock Point (knock on wood),
> but the option to
> >preserve entire sections of lakefront just doesn't
> crop up every day!
> >
> >It seems that for Big Rock Point, MEC, NIRS, CNFGL,
> DWM and others might
> >be able -- as the best expertise outside the
> industry -- to "object
> >constructively."  I know, having done such a dance
> with everybody from
> >Joe Bulldozer up to Wal-Mart, that doing it is a
> complete _pain_!
> >Eventually, though, it tends toward worthwhile
> outcomes.  And, it avoids
> >your being left out while the real decisions occur.
> >
> >Why would concerned efforts not go to (off the top
> of my head):
> >
> >   encourage some level of ownership control over
> all 563 acres
> >   recommend the maximum areas that might be safe
> for some uses
> >   craft park guidelines to limit public use over
> the remainder
> >   advise MDNR on a target price using data about
> cleanup costs
> >   require the seller to place proceeds in State
> cleanup escrow
> >   define liabilities now, while sellers have legal
> obligations
> >

> >IOW, why not get most of a square mile of lakefront
> and associated
> >habitats protected from development... with
> stringent cleanup terms
> >where practical... with harsh usage restrictions
> elsewhere... and
> >funding toward cleanup, rehabilitation, management,
> and ongoing research?
> >
> >That seems the best possible outcome.  Who will
> advocate for it?
> >
> >What are the alternative outcomes?  What will
> prevent them?
> >
> >Presume the site remains in Consumers/Entergy
> ownership.  It seems that
> >they will have likely no better incentive for
> cleanup, likely no better
> >budget for cleanup, and likely no better methods
> for cleanup than they
> >have today -- at least for the foreseeable
> corporate
=== message truncated ===

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com